Wednesday, May 21, 2014

God made a covenant with Abraham and blessed him

God made a covenant with Abraham and blessed him

Gen 17:1

When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty[a]; walk before me faithfully and be blameless. Then I will make my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers.”

Gen 28:3

So Isaac called for Jacob and blessed him. Then he commanded him: “Do not marry a Canaanite woman. 

May God Almighty[b] bless you and make you fruitful and increase your numbers until you become a community of peoples. May he give you and your descendants the blessing given to Abraham, so that you may take possession of the land where you now reside as a foreigner, the land God gave to Abraham.”

Gen 35:11

11 And God said to him, “I am God Almighty[f]; be fruitful and increase in number. A nation and a community of nations will come from you, and kings will be among your descendants.12 The land I gave to Abraham and Isaac I also give to you, and I will give this land to your descendants after you.” 

Gen 43:14

14 And may God Almighty[a] grant you mercy before the man so that he will let your other brother and Benjamin come back with you. As for me, if I am bereaved, I am bereaved.”

Gen 48:3

Jacob said to Joseph, “God Almighty[a] appeared to me at Luz in the land of Canaan, and there he blessed me and said to me, ‘I am going to make you fruitful and increase your numbers. I will make you a community of peoples, and I will give this land as an everlasting possession to your descendants after you.’

Exo 6:3

God also said to Moses, “I am the Lord. I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty,[a] but by my name the Lord[b] I did not make myself fully known to them. I also established my covenant with them to give them the land of Canaan, where they resided as foreigners.

We learn the following from the above verses

1)    God made a covenant with Abraham and blessed him

2)    Issac commanded Jacob saying “May God Almighty[b] bless you and make you fruitful and increase your numbers until you become a community of peoples.”

3)    God said to Jacob, “I am God Almighty[f]; be fruitful and increase in number. A nation and a community of nations will come from you, and kings will be among your descendants.12 The land I gave to Abraham and Isaac I also give to you, and I will give this land to your descendants after you.”

4)    Jacob said to Joseph, “God Almighty[a] appeared to me at Luz in the land of Canaan, and there he blessed me and said to me, ‘I am going to make you fruitful and increase your numbers. I will make you a community of peoples, and I will give this land as an everlasting possession to your descendants after you.’

5)    God also said to Moses, “I am the Lord. I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty,[a] but by my name the Lord[b] I did not make myself fully known to them. I also established my covenant with them to give them the land of Canaan, where they resided as foreigners.


No comments:

Post a Comment